Reviewdog findings are code reviews
Context and Problem Statement
JabRef offers guidelines to setup the local workspace. There is also a section on JabRef’s code style. There are pull requests by newcomers, which do not follow that style guide.
How to quickly provide feedback to contributors that checkstyle was not matched?
- Be friendly to newcomers
- Provide fast feedback to contributors
- Lower the workload of maintainers
- Keep maintainers focused on the “real” challanges of the code changes
- Use Reviewdog’s PullRequest review reporter
- Use Reviewdog’s check reporter
- Use comment-failure-action
Chosen option: “Use Reviewdog’s PullRequest review reporter”, because resolves force to provide fast feedback. We do not want to use
comment-failure-action, because it might procude too much comments. We accept that newcomers might be annoyed if quick automatic feedback by a bot is given: We value the time of our maintainers and want to keep them focused on the real challanges of the code changes.