The JabRef repository contains Markdown (
.md) files documenting the JabRef code. The documentation contains links to external resources. For high-quality documentation, external links should be working.
- Checking external links should not cause issues in the normal workflow
- Check external links once a month
- Check external links in the “checkstyle” task
- Do not check external links
Chosen option: “[option 1]”, because [justification. e.g., only option, which meets k.o. criterion decision driver | which resolves force force | … | comes out best (see below)].
- Automatic notification of broken external links
- Some external sites need to be disabled. For instance, GitHub.com always returns “forbidden”. A filter for status is future work of the used tool.
- Good, because does not interfere with the normal development workflow
- Bad, because an additional workflow is required
- Good, because no separate workflow is required
- Bad, because checks fail independent of the PR (because external web sites can go down and go up independent of a PR)
- Good, because no testing at all is required
- Bad, because external links break without any notice
- Bad, because external links have to be checked manually